All bank cards with welcome bonuses have restrictions relating to who’s eligible for the bonuses, and at occasions they are often difficult. Nevertheless, in case you ask me, Marriott’s co-brand card portfolio is next-level in relation to understanding eligibility restrictions.
That’s to not say the playing cards are laborious to be accepted for, however relatively that it may be laborious to know in case you’re eligible for the bonus on a selected card, primarily based on which different playing cards you’ve gotten. On this publish I needed to debate that in additional element, which I determine is very helpful given the exceptional restricted time welcome bonuses on these playing cards proper now.
Why are Marriott’s bank card eligibility guidelines so difficult?
Many surprise why Marriott has such difficult restrictions relating to who’s eligible for card bonuses. You’ll be able to’t merely get every Marriott bank card as soon as, however relatively eligibility for a card relies on whether or not you’ve had choose different playing cards, whether or not you’ve utilized for different playing cards up to now 30 or 90 days, and so forth.
In the end these difficult restrictions come down to some causes:
- Typically bank card issuers add restrictions relating to welcome bonuses to encourage worthwhile shopper conduct; they don’t need you to get all of those playing cards only for the bonuses
- Marriott has co-branded bank cards issued by each American Categorical and Chase (there are a complete of 4 — two from every issuer), and eligibility for some Chase playing cards is even primarily based on whether or not you’ve gotten Amex playing cards, and vice versa
- The Marriott Bonvoy program was solely launched in 2019, after the merger between Marriott and Starwood; beforehand each Marriott and Starwood had totally different playing cards, and whether or not or not you’ve had a type of playing cards performs into the eligibility necessities for the bonuses on present playing cards
Basic Marriott bank card eligibility necessities
Earlier than we discuss in regards to the eligibility necessities for particular card welcome bonuses, let’s discuss in regards to the guidelines of being accepted for Marriott’s playing cards extra broadly, as every card issuer has totally different guidelines.
Marriott Amex Card necessities
The next two Marriott bank cards are issued by American Categorical:
If you wish to get accepted for an Amex card, understand that:
- Amex limits customers to having at most 5 Amex bank cards at any time (this excludes hybrid playing cards), and it doesn’t matter whether or not these are private or enterprise playing cards
- Amex will sometimes approve folks for at most two bank cards in a 90 day interval
- Anecdotally I discover that Amex playing cards are a lot simpler to be accepted for than Chase playing cards, particularly with immediate approvals; nevertheless, I’d nonetheless advocate having a credit score rating of at the very least 700
Marriott Chase card necessities
The next two Marriott bank cards are issued by Chase:
If you wish to get accepted for a Chase card, understand that:
- Chase has the 5/24 rule, whereby you sometimes gained’t be accepted in case you’ve opened 5 or extra new card accounts up to now 24 months (with any issuer)
- Chase doesn’t have a strict restrict on what number of playing cards every individual can have, however relatively the restrict appears to be the general quantity of credit score you will be issued
- Chase will sometimes approve folks for at most two private bank cards in a 30 days interval
- I’d solely apply in case you have an excellent credit score rating, ideally at the very least 700
Which Marriott bank cards are you eligible for?
With all of that out of the way in which, let’s discuss in regards to the restrictions round incomes the welcome bonuses on these playing cards. Are you able to apply for one Marriott bank card? Two? How about three? Does it matter which of them? I’ve seen some websites attempt to create charts to make this simpler, however personally I’ve simply discovered that to create much more confusion.
Eligibility in case you’ve by no means had a Marriott bank card
Let’s begin with the perfect scenario — you’ve by no means had a card from Marriott or any of its predecessors, together with Marriott Bonvoy, Marriott Rewards, and Starwood Most popular Visitor. If that’s the case, you’re eligible for any one of many 4 playing cards, and also you’re eligible for the welcome bonuses as properly.
Need to get two Marriott bank cards?
That is the place it begins to get difficult. Should you’ve by no means had a Marriott bank card earlier than and also you need to get two Marriott bank cards, there’s one mixture of playing cards you will get, assuming you don’t need to get the playing cards greater than two years aside:
- You’ll be able to apply for the 2 American Categorical playing cards — the Marriott Bonvoy Enterprise and Marriott Bonvoy Good
- You’d be eligible for each bonuses, and also you don’t even want to attend between the purposes
- I’d argue that that is the perfect technique anyway — the playing cards have the most effective bonuses and are the most effective enhances
What different Marriott card combos can you’ve gotten?
There are another combos of the 4 playing cards you can recover from time, however you’d have to attend, and the foundations might make your head spin. Trying on the eligibility restrictions for the welcome bonuses among the many present 4 playing cards…
You’ll be able to’t get the welcome bonus on the Marriott Bonvoy Enterprise or Marriott Bonvoy Good if:
You’ll be able to’t get the welcome bonus on the Marriott Bonvoy Daring if:
You’ll be able to’t get the welcome bonus on the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless if:
What occurs in case you’ve had different Marriott bank cards up to now?
You probably have any playing cards from again when the Marriott Rewards or Starwood Most popular Visitor applications had been round, I’d advocate simply trying on the restrictions on the applying pages:
- For Amex playing cards, go to the “supply & profit phrases” part of the cardboard utility
- For Chase playing cards, go to the “supply particulars” part of the cardboard utility
I’m not attempting to be unhelpful, however the actuality is that every card has dozens of various eventualities about eligibility for welcome bonuses, relying on which playing cards you’ve gotten, or have had up to now. In some unspecified time in the future I’m doing a disservice and complicating issues by itemizing all of it out, when the applying phrases record them as simply as they will presumably be listed (which nonetheless isn’t very straightforward, admittedly).
Marriott has 4 co-branded bank cards, all of that are providing elevated welcome bonuses for the time being. There’s understandably usually some confusion about who’s eligible for the bonuses on these playing cards.
Hopefully the above sheds some gentle on that query, each in relation to getting accepted for Amex and Chase playing cards generally, and in relation to eligibility for every of those merchandise.
Should you’re new to Marriott bank cards, the ethical of the story is you can both get any one of many 4 playing cards, or if you wish to get two playing cards and never wait two years, the one mixture you will get is the Marriott Bonvoy Enterprise and Marriott Bonvoy Good. On the plus aspect, that form of works out, since these are the 2 most profitable playing cards, they’re the most effective enhances, and so they characteristic the most effective bonuses.
What has your expertise been with Marriott Bonvoy bank card eligibility guidelines?