Over the previous decade we’ve seen a pattern whereby airways have added an unbelievable variety of new extremely lengthy haul flights. Admittedly the pandemic has quickly reversed this pattern, given border restrictions and the lower in enterprise journey. However we’re beginning to see airways as soon as once more resume extremely lengthy haul flights.
On this publish I needed to summarize the world’s longest flights, what different extremely lengthy haul flights is perhaps on the horizon, and share why these are extra sensible than prior to now.
Why extremely lengthy haul flights are extra sensible than ever
Why have we seen airways launch so many extremely lengthy haul flights prior to now a number of years (pre-pandemic)? It primarily comes all the way down to new plane know-how. Prior to now decade the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787 have change into the spine of many carriers’ lengthy haul fleets, and these planes are nice for airways and passengers:
- The planes are extremely lengthy vary, and may function some nonstop flights that earlier technology plane couldn’t
- The planes have decrease capability than earlier technology plane (just like the Boeing 747), which opens up extra viable markets; it’s a lot simpler to profitably fill 200 seats than it’s to profitably fill 400 seats
- The planes have nice economics, and per-passenger gasoline burn is considerably decrease than earlier technology plane
So yeah, lengthy vary, gasoline environment friendly, low capability plane have completed wonders for airways relating to the viability of extremely lengthy haul metropolis pairs. Many routes that would have beforehand by no means been worthwhile now make sense.
The world’s 17 longest nonstop flights as of January 2022
International aviation got here to a standstill throughout the pandemic, nevertheless it’s beginning to get better, with increasingly airways resuming extremely lengthy haul flights. Consequently, I figured it was a superb time to checkin in on the world’s longest flights, given how a lot the listing has modified over time. Let’s check out the 17 longest flights. I’m going off of distance right here, since winds may also have an effect on the length of flights, and on high of that, some airways do loads of schedule padding.
Be aware that I’ll be counting flights which can be both at present working, or which can be anticipated to renew within the the following six months, based mostly on present schedules (and in the event that they’re not at present working, I’ll be aware it beneath). What’s fairly superb to me is that every one 17 of those flights are over 8,200 miles, which is an extended strategy to go nonstop.
So, what are the world’s longest flights? Right here they’re, beginning with the longest (I’m together with the airline that operates the route, the space, and the plane sort used):
- New York (JFK) to Singapore (SIN) / Singapore Airways / 9,537 miles / Airbus A350-900ULR
- Newark (EWR) to Singapore (SIN) / Singapore Airways / 9,523 miles / Airbus A350-900ULR (resumes March 27, 2022)
- Perth (PER) to London (LHR) / Qantas / 9,010 miles / Boeing 787-9 (resumes March 27, 2022)
- Auckland (AKL) to Dubai (DXB) / Emirates / 8,824 miles / Boeing 777-200LR (resumes July 1, 2022)
- Los Angeles (LAX) to Singapore (SIN) / Singapore Airways / 8,770 miles / Airbus A350-900ULR
- San Francisco (SFO) to Bangalore (BLR) / Air India / 8,701 miles / Boeing 777-200LR
- Darwin (DRW) to London (LHR) / Qantas / 8,620 miles / Boeing 787-9
- Houston (IAH) to Sydney (SYD) / United Airways / 8,596 miles / Boeing 787-9 (resumes March 26, 2022)
- Dallas (DFW) to Sydney (SYD) / Qantas / 8,578 miles / Boeing 787-9 (resumes February 16, 2022)
- New York (JFK) to Manila (MNL) / Philippine Airways / 8,520 miles / Airbus A350-900
- San Francisco (SFO) to Singapore (SIN) / Singapore Airways & United Airways / 8,446 miles / Airbus A350-900 & Boeing 787-9
- Johannesburg (JNB) to Atlanta (ATL) / Delta / 8,439 miles / Airbus A350-900
- Dubai (DXB) to Los Angeles (LAX) / Emirates / 8,339 miles / Airbus A380
- Jeddah (JED) to Los Angeles (LAX) / Saudia / 8,332 miles / Boeing 777-300ER (resumes April 25, 2022)
- Doha (DOH) to Los Angeles (LAX) / Qatar Airways / 8,306 miles / Airbus A350-1000
- Hyderabad (HYD) to Chicago (ORD) / Air India / 8,263 miles / Boeing 777-200LR
- Toronto (YYZ) to Manila (MNL) / Philippine Airways / 8,221 miles / Airbus A350-900
I deliberately ignored the flight occasions, since they fluctuate all year long as a consequence of winds. Moreover, some airways pad their schedules greater than others (with a purpose to create synthetic on-time arrivals). All 17 of those flights are blocked wherever between 16hr20min and 18hr50min.
Right here’s a map with all of the routes, which is kind of cluttered, as you possibly can see:
What record-breaking flights are on the horizon?
A majority of the world’s longest flights have been launched prior to now a number of years, which raises the query of what different record-breaking flights is perhaps on the horizon. Sadly the pandemic has had a unfavorable influence on these sorts of routes, however there are some fascinating flights on the horizon:
- Qantas plans to launch a Brisbane to Chicago flight, which might cowl a distance of 8,916 miles, making it the world’s fourth longest flight; this was purported to launch pre-pandemic, however has been delayed
- Air New Zealand plans to launch an Auckland to Newark flight, which might cowl a distance of 8,810 miles, making it the world’s sixth longest flight; this was purported to launch pre-pandemic, however has been delayed
Subsequent, whereas these flights aren’t fairly 8,200+ miles (or aren’t routes that aren’t at present operated), there are another extremely lengthy haul flights which have both lately launched or are on the horizon:
- United Airways launched a nonstop Newark to Johannesburg flight, which covers a distance of seven,989 miles
- Singapore Airways launched a nonstop Singapore to Seattle flight, which covers a distance of 8,073 miles
- Vietnam Airways launched a Ho Chi Minh Metropolis to San Francisco flight, which covers a distance of seven,838 miles
- American Airways plans to launch a nonstop Seattle to Bangalore flight, which can cowl a distance of 8,078 miles
- United Airways plans to launch a nonstop San Francisco to Bangalore flight, which will probably be one of many world’s longest flights, at 8,701 miles (although Air India already operates the route)
- Bamboo Airways plans to launch flights from Vietnam to america, although it’s anybody’s guess how precisely that performs out, and which route will probably be operated
Past that, maybe the most important factor on the horizon is Qantas’ “Mission Dawn,” the place the airline hopes to fly nonstop from Sydney and Melbourne to London and New York. Sadly the pandemic delayed progress with this, nevertheless it’s my understanding that Qantas remains to be hoping to make this occur, most certainly with an Airbus A350-1000.
As airways rebuild their international route networks, we’re seeing the resumption of some extremely lengthy haul flights. We’ve seen so many new lengthy haul flights launched prior to now 5 years or so, due to how superb the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787 are. In comparison with earlier technology plane, these planes are low capability, lengthy vary, and gasoline environment friendly.
Whereas these marathon flights are nice for these touring in a premium cabin, I can’t think about doing a nonstop flight like this in financial system. In these conditions I really feel like I’d quite break up the journey than fly nonstop. Heck, even in enterprise class I really feel like a few of these flights are too lengthy.
Which extremely lengthy haul flight do you discover most fascinating, and what do you assume we’ll see added subsequent?