Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First Lounge Doha is likely one of the world’s greatest airport lounges. Once I not too long ago reviewed Qatar Airways’ 777 top notch, there have been a number of questions on Qatar Airways’ top notch lounge entry insurance policies.
On this publish I needed to supply a information on the way to entry the Al Safwa First Lounge, as this may trigger some confusion. Moreover, it’s attainable to purchase entry to the Al Safwa Lounge, so I needed to speak about that as effectively.
Why Qatar Airways’ Al Safwa First Lounge is nice
The Al Safwa Lounge is Qatar Airways’ most premium lounge, and it’s a reasonably particular place. To me the house virtually feels extra like a museum than a lounge, given its structure and design.
Like all airport lounge, there are a selection of seating choices.
The lounge additionally has a restaurant space, with a strong meals choice, and a good higher wine choice.
Arguably essentially the most helpful characteristic of the lounge is the non-public bedrooms, which can be found on a primary come, first served foundation. Visitors can use these at no additional price for a interval of as much as six hours, although you want at the least 4 hours till departure to have the ability to use one.
The lounge additionally has a spa, which even has a whirlpool. Nevertheless, use of the spa (together with the whirlpool) is just obtainable on a paid foundation.
Who can entry the Al Safwa First Lounge?
At first, the Qatar Airways Al Safwa First Lounge is out there to these touring in Qatar Airways top notch. That’s not as easy because it sounds, although, since Qatar Airways takes an unconventional method to the way it markets the ahead cabins on its flights.
Qatar Airways’ “actual” top notch is out there on the Airbus A380, which is flown to locations like London and Paris.
On prime of that, Qatar Airways is briefly leasing some Cathay Pacific 777s with top notch, in order that will increase Qatar Airways’ top notch footprint. These planes are being flown to Male and Zurich.
Now that is the place it will get sophisticated. Qatar Airways additionally markets the ahead cabin on some flights throughout the Gulf area as top notch somewhat than enterprise class, even when there isn’t a “true” top notch cabin. Why is that? Effectively, presumably as a result of these flights are largely full of Qataris, and Qatar Airways is a authorities owned airline, so I assume the airline desires to supply an elevated expertise for native passengers.
So that you’ll discover that the enterprise class cabin on flights throughout the Gulf is commonly marketed as top notch somewhat than enterprise class (and there’s merely no enterprise class). This consists of flights to Abu Dhabi, Amman, Cairo, Dubai, Jeddah, Muscat, Riyadh, and many others. This isn’t at all times the case, although. For instance, on flights to Salalah, the ahead cabin remains to be marketed as enterprise class.
As if that’s not sophisticated sufficient, it will get a bit extra sophisticated, nonetheless:
- Qatar Airways top notch passengers can constantly use the Al Safwa First Lounge previous to their top notch phase
- Qatar Airways top notch passengers can solely use the Al Safwa First Lounge on arrival when connecting to a enterprise class phase if the primary class phase was at the least 5 hours lengthy
In different phrases:
- In the event you fly Qatar Airways top notch from London to Doha after which Qatar Airways enterprise class from Doha to Bangkok, you might use the Al Safwa First Lounge throughout your layover
- In the event you fly Qatar Airways top notch from Dubai to Doha after which Qatar Airways enterprise class from Doha to New York, you couldn’t use the Al Safwa First Lounge throughout your layover
Past top notch passengers, Qatar Airways Platinum members additionally get Al Safwa First Lounge entry when touring in enterprise class. Nevertheless, word that different oneworld Emerald members don’t get Al Safwa First Lounge entry. Sadly Qatar Airways isn’t nice relating to admitting oneworld elites to its most premium lounges.
How a lot does it price to purchase entry to the Al Safwa First Lounge?
Right here’s a probably nice alternative — Qatar Airways additionally sells entry to its Al Safwa First Lounge for 600 QAR (~$165). There are some restrictions related to this, although:
- Shopping for entry to the Al Safwa First Lounge is just obtainable to Qatar Airways enterprise class passengers who would in any other case be eligible for Al Mourjan Enterprise Lounge entry, together with those that paid money or redeemed miles for his or her tickets (however not those that upgraded)
- Technically you possibly can spend at most six hours within the lounge while you buy entry, although anecdotally that restriction doesn’t appear to be enforced all that a lot, past limiting folks to 6 hours in a bed room
- There are capability controls and this selection isn’t assured, so in some circumstances you might not be allowed to buy entry relying on crowding, the agent on obligation, and many others.
To buy entry to the Al Safwa First Lounge, simply proceed on to the lounge. On the backside of the escalator, inform the agent of your intentions. In the event that they’re promoting entry at the moment, you have to be directed to the entrance desk on the entrance to the lounge, the place your fee can be processed.
Is it value shopping for entry to the Al Safwa First Lounge?
Is it value paying $165 to entry the Al Safwa First Lounge in case you’re flying in Qatar Airways enterprise class? The very first thing to remember is that it’s best to take a look at the worth right here on an incremental foundation, because the various is accessing the Al Mourjan Enterprise Lounge. The query is de facto in case you ought to pay $165 to entry the Al Safwa Lounge over the Al Mourjan Lounge.
Right here’s my take:
- This in all probability isn’t value it in case you simply have a fast layover of 1 to 2 hours, which is how a lot time most Qatar Airways passengers have, on condition that the Doha hub is closely banked
- That being stated, you probably have a considerably longer layover, and significantly if you wish to sleep, then I believe paying to entry the Al Safwa Lounge is smart; with the ability to sleep in an actual mattress for a couple of hours between flights is superior, the alcohol choice is probably fairly nice, and the meals can also be a lot better than within the enterprise class lounge
Simply needless to say the bedrooms can be found on a first come, first served foundation, so in case you present up after a rush of different passengers, these may not be obtainable for some period of time.
When you have a protracted layover in Doha however plan to remain airside, additionally needless to say instead there’s an airside airport resort, which is a superb place to get some relaxation.
The Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge is a reasonably superior top notch lounge with some sophisticated entry necessities. The lounge is open to top notch passengers, together with these touring on brief haul flights. On prime of that, it’s attainable for choose enterprise class passengers to purchase entry to the lounge for ~$165, which may characterize a good worth.
The Al Safwa Lounge has good eating and drinks, non-public bedrooms, and a spa with paid remedies.
In the event you’ve accessed the Al Safwa Lounge (together with shopping for entry), what was your expertise like?