Shangri-La is a luxurious lodge group with simply over 100 properties across the globe. I don’t speak about Shangri-La that a lot, given the restricted alternatives with the lodge’s loyalty program, plus the heavy deal with Asia (which continues to be largely off limits for many people). Nicely, Shangri-La has simply introduced a significant refresh of its loyalty program, so let’s check out all the main points.
Particulars of Shangri-La’s new loyalty program
Shangri-La has unveiled the main points of its new loyalty program, which is able to launch on April 28, 2022. With these modifications, the loyalty program is getting a brand new title, a brand new rewards construction, and a few new elite perks. Because it’s described, the brand new program is meant to be versatile and easy, and to supply extra recognition:
“Shangri-La Circle’s new elevated choices was designed with our members in thoughts. We listened to their suggestions, went again to the drafting board, combed via the knots, and enhanced the options they love.”
Whereas flexibility and ease are good on the floor, in actuality Shangri-La is totally shifting to dynamic award pricing, which in all probability isn’t nice for these trying to maximize worth. Let’s have a look at varied facets of the brand new program.
Shangri-La Circle is now not “Golden”
The primary change is that Shangri-La’s loyalty program is rebranding. Whereas this system is presently generally known as Shangri-La Golden Circle, beginning in late April it’ll merely be generally known as Shangri-La Circle. I don’t actually have sturdy emotions there a technique or one other, aside from that I recognize the straightforward title.
Incomes factors with Shangri-La Circle
Nothing is altering with the way you earn Shangri-La factors, as you proceed to earn one level per greenback spent, excluding taxes and costs. So in case your lodge keep prices $1,000, you’ll earn 1,000 factors.
Redeeming factors with Shangri-La Circle
The largest modifications coming to Shangri-La are on the redemption facet. For context, presently free night time redemptions observe an award chart with seven classes of accommodations, costing anyplace from 1,000 to twenty,000 factors per night time for the standard room.
In different phrases, you’d have to spend $1,000 to $20,000 so as to earn a free night time. Nevertheless, traditionally that hasn’t even been the perfect use of Shangri-La rewards, as you can additionally redeem factors for vouchers in direction of eating and spa purchases at Shangri-La properties:
- You can redeem 500 Shangri-La factors for a $50 voucher
- You can redeem 1,000 Shangri-La factors for a $100 voucher
In different phrases, every Shangri-La level may get you 10 cents in direction of on-property spending, which means the loyalty program supplied the equal of 10% again.
The brand new program is far less complicated, and that’s not a very good factor. Going ahead, Shangri-La goes full-on dynamic with award pricing:
- There’ll now not be blackout dates, however somewhat you may redeem factors in direction of any Shangri-La expertise on the fee of 15 factors per greenback
- In different phrases, every Shangri-La level will get you ~6.67 cents in direction of the price of a lodge keep, or a eating or spa expertise
- You may redeem factors partly in direction of the price of any expertise, so that you don’t have to have sufficient factors for your entire expertise
It is a important devaluation. Beforehand every level may get you 10 cents in direction of a eating or spa expertise, whereas now it may solely get you 6.67 cents in direction of a eating or spa expertise.
Shangri-La Circle elite standing
With the brand new program, Shangri-La Circle can have 4 elite tiers:
- Shangri-La Circle Gold standing
- Shangri-La Circle Jade standing
- Shangri-La Circle Diamond standing
- Shangri-La Circle Polaris standing
Up to now standing could possibly be earned based mostly both on the variety of nights or stays accomplished, whereas with the brand new program standing will be earned based mostly on the variety of nights accomplished or the variety of tier factors earned (with members getting one tier level per greenback spent). Yep, this system is more and more shifting in direction of being income based mostly.
Shangri-La Circle Gold is the tier you get only for registering, and it affords the power to earn free nights, member unique affords, cellular check-in and check-out, and extra.
Shangri-La Circle Jade is the entry-level elite tier, requiring 20 nights or 6,000 tier factors. This contains incremental perks like every day breakfast, early check-in and late check-out, welcome facilities, room upgrades, bonus factors, and extra.
Shangri-La Circle Diamond is the best revealed elite tier, requiring 50 nights or 15,000 tier factors. This contains incremental perks like government lounge entry, complimentary urgent service, and extra.
Shangri-La Circle Polaris is the group’s new invitation-only elite standing. This contains incremental perks like government lounge entry even when not staying at a lodge, versatile check-in and check-out (as early as 12AM and as late as 6PM), complimentary airport meet & greet, 4 hours of complimentary automotive service per keep, and extra.
My tackle the brand new Shangri-La Circle program
Shangri-La has some nice accommodations, although the loyalty program has by no means impressed me a lot. This system wasn’t thrilling to me earlier than these modifications, and this system is even much less thrilling to me after these modifications. Just a few basic ideas:
- For these maximizing worth, Shangri-La’s loyalty program is turning into roughly one-third much less rewarding; beforehand you can rise up to 10 cents per level, and with the brand new program you may rise up to six.67 cents per level
- On some degree you’d virtually be higher off reserving via a web based journey company that provides 10% again in direction of a future keep, particularly if you happen to’re not a Shangri-La common; in actuality the largest good thing about reserving direct is having the ability to make the most of extra perks via packages like Virtuoso, Shangri-La Luxurious Circle, and many others.
- Personally I at all times discover it bizarre when luxurious journey manufacturers attempt to basically flip their loyalty program right into a revenue-based low cost membership; I feel that’s an awesome idea for Allegiant’s loyalty program (the place customers are usually extremely value delicate, and providing redemptions with each journey retains individuals engaged), however to me it simply doesn’t appear as thrilling for a luxurious lodge group
- My greatest concern with Shangri-La’s loyalty program is how laborious it’s to interact with this system if you happen to’re not in Asia; there aren’t some ways to earn factors with Shangri-La effectively outdoors of lodge stays, and a overwhelming majority of Shangri-La properties are in nations which have had closed borders for practically two years now
Shangri-La has unveiled its new loyalty program, Shangri-La Circle. This system will launch in late April 2022, and the largest change is to redeeming factors. Factors will probably be redeemable on the fee of ~6.67 cents every in direction of nearly any Shangri-La expertise. There’ll now not be a free night time award chart for Shangri-La stays, and also you’ll additionally now not be capable of redeem factors for 10 cents every in direction of eating & spa experiences.
Shangri-La is certainly following the course the business is headed, with a deal with flexibility somewhat than aspirational redemptions and outsized worth.
What do you make of the brand new Shangri-La Circle program?