Hyatt is the resort group I’m most loyal to, as a result of I discover that as a World of Hyatt Globalist member I’m handled effectively. Most necessary to me is that Hyatt is constant, and never many accommodations attempt to play “video games” in terms of advantages. “Most” doesn’t embody the Park Hyatt Doha, although.
I’ve been wanting to remain on the Park Hyatt Doha
I typically love Park Hyatts, and all the time exit of my strategy to verify them out after I’m staying in a metropolis with one. The Park Hyatt Doha is without doubt one of the latest properties within the group, because it solely opened in December 2019.
However there’s a motive that I needed to remain at this specific property. The resort’s first basic supervisor, Stefan Gaessler, looks like an superior man. He was universally beloved, by each friends and staff. Simply take a look at his participation in the FlyerTalk thread concerning the Park Hyatt Doha.
He answered nearly each query requested by potential friends within the thread, and constantly instructed friends he’d love to satisfy them, present them round, and get their suggestions. He invited individuals to contact him straight in the event that they wanted something, and was notably good about elite recognition.
Sadly for us, Stefan retired earlier this yr, after 33 years with Hyatt. There’s now a brand new basic supervisor, and reviews I’ve seen up to now recommend he’s not as pro-World of Hyatt as Stefan was. I used to be curious to see for myself if that was actually the case.
Improve video games on the Park Hyatt Doha
Look, I’m a reasonably passive man these days, and all too usually I don’t even get up for myself, as a result of I simply don’t wish to argue. However generally I additionally assume it’s necessary to face up for your self (hello, Aegon Mykonos!).
As an elite member I attempt to have affordable expectations. I don’t anticipate suite upgrades as a Hilton Honors Diamond member. If I’m touring to Hawaii as a Marriott Bonvoy Platinum member, I acknowledge that there are such a lot of elites, and I don’t anticipate a lot of an improve.
However on the Park Hyatt Doha I don’t assume I used to be being over entitled in hoping for a collection improve topic to availability:
- The resort has 187 visitor rooms, 28 of that are Park Suites (the usual suites right here); 15% of the rooms the place are normal suites, which have to be one of many highest suite to visitor room ratios wherever
- On the day of arrival not solely was Hyatt’s web site displaying at the very least two Park Suites obtainable on the market (probably the most hyatt.com will present), however on-line platforms like Expedia confirmed eight Park Suites nonetheless on the market, which is probably the most that may be displayed (in different phrases, there have been doubtless much more than that)
- Doha isn’t precisely a vacation spot with a excessive focus of Globalist friends, or all that many vacationers, for that matter
I known as the resort upfront
We booked our keep on the Park Hyatt Doha similar day by the Hyatt Privé program. About an hour after reserving, I seen that we had been upgraded one class, from a regular room to a deluxe room. Whereas the resort is underneath no obligation to improve additional upfront, I made a decision to provide the entrance desk a name:
- I needed to let the resort know we’d be arriving very late, since accommodations usually wish to know your arrival time, together with for room allocation
- I additionally simply needed to notice that I’d admire a collection improve if it had been obtainable at check-in; I used to be making an attempt to make everybody’s life simpler right here, as a result of I didn’t need them establishing a welcome amenity in a distinct room (which is a regular perk by the Hyatt Privé program), after which having to maneuver it round in the course of the night time
- The affiliate was pleasant; she stated that my request for a collection improve had been famous, and that each effort could be made to honor it, however she additionally stated that the resort was very full on account of Eid (extra on that in a bit… I believe we now have completely different definitions of what constitutes full)
My ridiculous 2AM check-in expertise
We ended up arriving on the resort at 2AM, and had been greeted by an exceptionally pleasant entrance workplace agent. The dialog went one thing like this (this isn’t an actual quote since I wasn’t recording, but it surely’s fairly shut):
Agent: “We’ve upgraded you to a King Metropolis View Deluxe.”
Me: “Thanks, do you will have any Park Suites obtainable?”
Agent: “We’ve already upgraded you one class to a deluxe room, per the Hyatt Privé program.”
Me: “Thanks, however I imagine as a Globalist member I get an improve to a regular suite topic to availability, and many these suites are nonetheless obtainable on the market?”
Agent: “Give me a second to talk to my colleague and see what I can do.”
At this level the assistant reservations supervisor got here out and warmly greeted me. Let me emphasize that each of those guys couldn’t have been friendlier, and it very a lot felt to me like left to their very own units I’d have been upgraded proactively. The dialog went one thing like this, after the preliminary greeting:
Supervisor: “Let me clarify, you booked by Hyatt Privé, so that you obtain a one class improve, and we now have already upgraded you a deluxe room. You additionally obtain a $100 credit score…”
Me: “Sure, however I’m a Globalist member, and that ought to get me a collection improve topic to availability. Was my Globalist quantity not hooked up to the reservation appropriately?”
Supervisor: “I perceive you requested a collection, but it surely wasn’t obtainable on the time. We’re very busy due to Eid.” (Reminder: after I known as earlier within the day, at the very least eight of the usual suites had been displaying on the market)
Me: “I discover that a little bit unusual, as a result of Hyatt’s web site was promoting Park Suites all day, and after I seemed on Expedia, I may e-book at the very least eight Park Suites during my keep, so I don’t know what’s happening there. Is the resort promoting rooms that aren’t obtainable?”
Agent: “Let me see what I can do.”
There was a repeated emphasis on how I had acquired a one class improve, suggesting that was adequate. So the first argument wasn’t even actually that they made each effort to improve me to a collection but it surely wasn’t obtainable, however reasonably that I needs to be proud of a one class improve. But there was additionally no actual pushback after I stated that I believe I ought to get a collection topic to availability.
The agent did some typing, and shortly sufficient he confirmed a Park Suite was obtainable. At that time he stated he first wanted to do a room inspection for the reason that room hadn’t been inspected. He additionally defined that the facilities must be transfered from the opposite room we had been blocked in. How beautiful when this occurs after 2AM, when this might have been prevented altogether (particularly since I instructed the resort our arrival time, and the agent I spoke with promised that each effort could be made to improve me to a collection, which clearly didn’t occur).
Once more, he was tremendous good and gracious about the entire thing, and it appeared fairly clear to me that the resort’s coverage of not caring for elite members was coming from these greater up. He was apologetic as we needed to wait, and we had been even requested if we needed something to drink.
A pair extra ideas
After all Eid is a significant vacation within the Center East, however that doesn’t essentially imply accommodations are going to be busy with friends staying in a single day (reasonably than simply individuals going to meals & beverage retailers). How full is the Park Hyatt? Effectively, whereas I can’t say for certain, the resort appears abandoned to me. We sat at breakfast for 2 hours (from 9AM till 11AM), and in complete we noticed round a dozen individuals. For an hour there have been solely two different friends.
This doesn’t precisely appear to be what you’d anticipate for a resort with not a single one of many 28 normal suites obtainable…
I haven’t seen a single different visitor within the foyer, regardless of having walked by it a number of occasions. Perhaps the resort is busy in comparison with its usually very low occupancy, however I’d be stunned if this resort is greater than 25% full, and could be shocked if it had been greater than 50% full.
The opposite level I need to make is that I don’t go round to accommodations selecting fights. This occurs possibly a few occasions per yr, and all too usually I’m in all probability passive. However in a case like this, the place it was so apparent that administration was simply enjoying video games, I felt like making an attempt to pursue this was the best factor:
- Resorts are alleged to be within the hospitality business, and that’s about making individuals really feel welcome; I don’t really feel welcome when a resort is actively mendacity to me and making an attempt to disclaim advantages that I’m promised in alternate for my loyalty (and I’ve put my cash the place my mouth is in terms of Hyatt loyalty — I’m about to succeed in lifetime Globalist standing)
- My hope by pursuing that is that both resort administration will be retrained, or friends will be warned to keep away from accommodations like these
- There’s a basic degree of delusion amongst so many accommodations in terms of loyalty packages; there are many accommodations I may have chosen to remain at, and if I didn’t care about loyalty perks, I may have stayed on the 4 Seasons Doha for marginally extra, and had a greater expertise in a equally upgraded “deluxe” room, all with out having to be loyal to the model
A overwhelming majority of the time Hyatts take nice care of me, which is why I’m loyal to the model. Sadly the Park Hyatt Doha is an exception, and it was in all probability the obvious instance I’ve seen of a Hyatt making an attempt to disclaim an improve in a really very long time.
I wouldn’t keep on the Park Hyatt Doha once more underneath the present administration, except I knew one thing modified. That has nothing to do with a collection improve as such, however reasonably as a result of I really feel unwelcome after I’m made to beg and badger to be able to get what needs to be provided proactively.
I hope Hyatt company can present some further coaching to the present administration crew at this property.
How would you will have dealt with this example?